Guidance for managers conducting exit interviews
We offer all employees (open-ended, fixed-term and guaranteed hours) the opportunity to have a face-to-face exit interview. This is in addition to completing our online exit survey. You can find an exit interview template in People and Money.
The purpose of carrying out exit interviews is to:
- understand the reasons why our employees leave
- offer employees the opportunity to provide additional feedback that cannot be captured in our exit survey
- gather information about issues and problems that can be addressed and improvements that can be made at school/department level.
The Exit Interviewer can be:
- the employee’s line manager
- a senior member of staff in the employee’s school/department.
The Exit Interviewer should:
- decide an appropriate time and location for the exit interview
- determine the questions that will be asked and amend the exit interview template as appropriate
- conduct the interview
- review responses and propose actions.