Human Resources

Ongoing Support for non-EEA Staff

Advice and support for international staff.

The University is proud of our diverse and international community and is intent on ensuring we provide the best support to all our staff, students and their families.

There are two types of financial support currently in place, the Interest Free Loan and Tier 2 Visa Fee Reimbursement, and specialist in-house advice and practical help is available to staff and their dependants.


Assistance with UK 'right to remain' applications

Staff requiring permission to work in the UK or wishing to settle in the UK can seek advice and help from the University's in-house International Staff Adviser. Further information on this service can be found on the Edinburgh Global service webpage.

Edinburgh Global Service Webpage


Immigration Fee Assistance

Interest Free Loan

Members of staff can apply for an interest free loan to cover fees in relation to their own and their dependants applications for:

  • UK residency (Indefinite Leave to Remain/Settlement)
  • Tier 2 visa and associated costs, i.e. NHS surcharges and NARIC fees

The loan also covers costs for UK legal advice.

Tier 2 Visa Reimbursement

Following an application for a Tier 2 visa, either the initial application, a visa extension or a Tier 4 to Tier 2 switch, members of staff can request reimbursement for the standard fees.

Further information on the interest free loan and Tier 2 reimbursement is available at:

Immigration Fee Assistance Webpage


Immigration Legal Advice

The University has researched local legal firms who can supply more detailed immigration advice at a preferential rate for University of Edinburgh staff.  A summary of the services the legal firms provide and their contact information is listed on the web page below:

Legal Advice Webpage