The Edinburgh Manager
The Edinburgh Manager provides a framework to develop the skills and behaviours required of managers. It also encourages and enables participants to network with managers across the University.
- To build line management capability.
- To increase self-awareness in relation to own values and management behaviours.
- To create a community of managers crossing boundaries between departments, schools, disciplines and professional backgrounds.
- To support managers to take action that generates positive change and advances the University strategic objectives in their own areas and beyond.
- To provide a collective voice for managers across the University.
The Edinburgh Manager is suited to both professional services and academic staff who are in people management roles and are looking to develop and enhance their management skills.
Professional Services staff
- Who manage a team of staff to deliver administrative, professional or technical University wide service or
- Work across departments to deliver key projects to support the University‘s strategic objectives
- Who contribute to the management of their subject area, School, College or the University
- With or without direct line management authority (examples include chairing committees and leading on key academic processes)
The programme runs over 6 months. It is mostly delivered online, with some elements delivered in person. Attendance is required for all facilitated sessions, workshops and discussion groups.
- 3 facilitated sessions (up to half day each)
- 2 full day workshops
- 4 discussion groups (2 hours each)
- 2-4 hours of self-directed learning between sessions
- Submission and peer review of final reflective presentation
Please note that delegate nominations for October 2023 are now closed. If you are a nominating manager who has yet to complete their supporting application please contact the team at LearningandDevelopment@ed.ac.uk
New dates are now available in the document above for the next cohort beginning January 2024. Please click on the links below to complete the nominations forms.
Please note that both the delegate and nominating manager forms are required and applications will not be accepted without both. Spaces are limited, and will be offered on a first come, first served basis.