First Steps into Leadership and Management
Do you want to enhance your skills and knowledge to lead, manage and motivate your team? This programme will help you develop your skills, knowledge and personal abilities you need to succeed as a manager. It will help improve your communication skills and ability to motivate and inspire your team.
As a result of completing the workshops and project work you will:
- Learn more about yourself and your approach to management.
- Gain a range of key management skills which you will have the opportunity to put into practice in your own role.
- Build on your leadership capabilities - by being able to motivate and engage teams and manage relationships confidently.
- Develop your leadership and management skills using your own knowledge, values and motivations.
- Network with managers across the University.
- Reflect on your learning and the impact this has had on you in the workplace through preparing for and delivering a presentation.
This programme is aimed at those new to leadership and management and those in a leadership and management role who have not received this type of development previously.
This programme is suited to both Professional Services and Academic leaders and managers.
Applicants are required to attend all the workshops, participate in a group presentation and submit a leadership project.
Please note there is a commitment of 16 hours additional work over and above attendance at the workshops (3 - 4 hours between each workshop).
|23 January 2018||9:15am - 4:45pm||Room 3.15, St Leonards Land, Moray House|
|20 February 2018||9:15am - 4:45pm||Room 3.04, Charteris Land, Moray House|
|22 March 2018||9:15am - 4:45pm||Room 3.02, Charteris Land, Moray House|
|24 April 2018||9:15am - 4:45pm||Room 11.01 David Hume Tower|
|15 May 2018||9:15am - 2pm||Room 2.19, Old Library, Geography (Old Infirmary)|
If you are interested in First Steps you need to apply using the application form. This has to be endorsed by your line manager and to be sent to UHRS. Successful applicants will be notified.
Cancellation and Non-attendance
Please ensure you can attend all elements of the leadership programme before being nominated.
Cancelling your place
Before starting the programme, if you become aware of the need to cancel your place contact the programme coordinator. We will identify a reserve participant to attend if you provide 10 working days’ notice. You will be able to apply again for a future cohort.
Non-attendance when on programme
We understand that exceptional situations may arise where you are unable to attend a date. Please contact the programme coordinator and follow up with your manager, outlining the reason for your absence.
Your nominating managers will receive a programme attendance report at the end of each Leadership programme.
Programme coordinator details
If you have any queries please contact Joanna Fairweather.
The Online Development Toolkit contains the following resources relevant to this topic:
- Making Your Mark In A New Leadership Role
- Making the Transition from Manager to Leader
- Leadership Versus Management
- Leadership Vs Management
- Can Leadership Be Learned?