Relocation Support


Information for staff on how to open a bank account and how to request an employers' letter.

Opening a Bank Account

istock image

Unless you have an international account, you will need UK bank account while living in Eidnburgh. It can take around 2 weeks for your account to be opened and for you be able to make transactions. It is therefore very important that you bring enough money to cover your expenses for this early period.

If you can, try to contact your preferred bank before you travel. Some international banks can open an account for you in your current location and transfer it to the UK when you move.  It is sensible to arrange an appointment in advance, if you can.

If you would like us to provide you with a letter confirming you work for the University please fill in the form below and return it to


Cost of Living

Edinburgh has a reputation for being an expensive city to live in. While that is true, most people tend to have a good standard of living here and there are always bargains to be found through exploring your new home.

For more detailed information on what you can expect to pay for accommodation to bread you can look at websites such as Numbeo. Which allows you to compare the prices against your current location.

istock image


Managing Your Money

Edinburgh can be a fairly expensive city in which to live and work, so you should be proactive about managing your income and expenditure, especially if you are moving from a country where the general cost of living is lower.

The UK Government has a website which provides advice on many aspects of money management, and there are also many websites that give advice and tips on how to save and spend your money wisely. We have listed some of these below.


When you take up paid employment in the UK you have to pay Income Tax and National Insurance on your earnings.

HMRC (Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs) is the tax authority in the UK. Your relocation allowance is viewed by HMRC as a 'non-taxable benefit'. There is a time limit on this, and you must have made all of your relocation support claims to the University by the end of the tax year following the tax year in which you started. UK Tax years run from 6th April to 5th April the following year. 

For example

  • If you begin employment with the University on the 4th April 2020 (very near the end of a tax year), your final claim must be made by 5th April 2021.
  • If you begin employment with the University on the 7th April 2020 (at the beginning of a new tax year), your final claim must be made by 5th April 2022.

You will receive a welcome email from the University before you start,  telling you the final date for any relocation allowance claims. However, you can contact us to check.



If you have a query relating to your University salary, you can contact the University Payroll office. You can find their contact the finance helpline: