Human Resources

Registering with the police

Some non-EEA nationals are required to register with the police as a condition of staying in the UK. This section provides more information.

If you are required to register with the police, this will be confirmed on:

  • the 30 day vignette/stamp in your passport issued to you to allow you to travel to the UK or;
  • a decision letter when your visa was approved or;
  • your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)


If you need to register with the police and you do not do this, your permission to stay might be shortened and you will have to leave the UK. Additionally, you can be stopped from getting or extending a UK visa in the future.

If the requirement applies, you must register within 7 days of you:

  • Arriving in the UK
  • Getting your BRP if you are extending your stay in the UK
  • If your partner/family has the same requirement, they must also register within 7 days.

Further information from UKVI on registering with the police


There are only certain police stations that you can register at and payments must be made in cash (cards are not accepted). If you are resident in Edinburgh, it is the Overseas Visitor Registration Office at Fettes Police Department. The address is: Fettes Avenue, Edinburgh, EH4 1RB.



If you go to any other police station in the centre of Edinburgh, they will not be able to help you. Information about how to register and the costs of this is available at:

Information on registering with the police in Scotland


Whilst you are in the UK, you need to keep your police registration updated with any changes to your address or visa.  You can do this at any local police station.