National Insurance number (NI number)

All staff employed in the UK, whether UK, European or international citizens, need a National Insurance number (NI number). This section provides information on how to get one.

The National Insurance number (NI number) makes sure that the NI contributions and tax you pay are properly recorded against your name.  It also acts as a reference number when communicating with the Government Department for Work and Pensions and HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

When you receive a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP), the NI number may be printed on the back of it.  You do not need to re-apply if you already have an NI number or its on your BRP

If you do not have one you will need to apply.  You can only do this once you have arrived in the UK.

Further information on how to apply is available at:

Further information on applying for your National Insurance Number

You can start work before your NI number arrives, but you must let your University contact know that you have applied for one and give it to them once you have received it.

Please note if you’re from outside the EEA and your UK residence card says you cannot access public funds you will be unable to apply for benefits.

Further information on public funds