ArchSoc Fieldwork Fair – Can you dig it?
The Edinburgh University Archaeology Society annual fieldwork fair will be in full swing today in Teviot Debating Hall.
The Edinburgh University Archaeology Society annual fieldwork fair aims to help students understand the ways of gaining some practical experience in archaeology and to give them knowledge about career prospects in the subject area.
Eleven groups will be attending the fair, including ArchSoc, the School of History Classics and Archaeology (HCA), Edinburgh Archaeology Outreach Project (EAOP), Edinburgh Archaeology fieldwork society, Wessex Archaeology, Headland, Chartered Institute for Archaeologists (CiFA), Historic Environment Scotland, Young Archaeologists’ Club Dunfermline, the Crannog Centre and the University of Edinburgh Careers Services.
There will also be a bookstall, for academic books, where students can donate and pick up books – monetary donations welcome!
The fair will kick off with a series of talks beginning with Professor Ulf-Dietrich Schoop, Head of Archaeology Subject Area. Other speakers include:
- Cara Jones (CiFA) discussing fieldwork and careers opportunities
- Maya Hoole discussing the Kilmarten Rock Art project
- Professor Clive Bonsall (HCA) talking about his Romania dig
- Dr Guillaume Robin (HCA) talking about his Sardinia dig
- Dr Xavier Rubio-Campillo (HCA) talking about Puig Ciutat's dig
- Rachel McMullen from Headland discussing their fieldwork and career opportunities for students
An HCA fieldwork project which took place in 2017 featuring fourteen HCA students recently featured in Current Archaeology.