LAMPS Conference 2017 - Death & the Supernatural
Schedule at a Glance
16 June 2017
- 9:45-11:15- Session One: Cross-Cultural Connections, chaired by Rebecca Wrightson
- Katia Fernández Mayo, University of Edinburgh. 'Interactions between Viking-Age Scandinavia and the Islamic World: Cultural Transmission and Religious Impacts.'
- Lorenza Gay, The Warburg Institute. 'Deos Homines Fuisse? Illuminations of the Pagan Gods in French Medieval Manuscripts.'
- Aparna Andhare, University of Edinburgh. 'Reincarnation/Annihilation/Reunion: Glimpses of Death in (mostly) Medieval Indian Art.'
- 11:30-13:00- Session Two: Monsters and the Monstrous, chaired by Vaughn Sturdevan Feuer
- Minjie Su, Linacre College. 'Winter, Werewolf, and a Psychic Vampire: Reading Úlfhams rímur in Light of Seasonal Change.'
- Ryan Denson, University of Edinburgh. ‘The Waters Underneath the Earth’ - Folkloric Traditions of Evil Arising from the Sea.'
- Joanna Witkowska, University of Edinburgh. ‘Should Women Eat Their Offspring, the Children They Have Borne?’ - Cannibalism in John Mirk's 'Festial' as a Curse and a Blessing.'
- 14:00-15:30- Session Three: Beyond the Grave, chaired by Sarah Hutcheson
- Maria Gordusenko, University of Edinburgh. 'Literal and Metaphorical Pilgrimage of Artists in Medieval Christian Art: from Self-Representation to Self-Commemoration.'
- Elizabeth Skuthorpe, Unaffiliated Scholar. 'Voices of the Dead: Speech acts in Old Norse narratives.'
- Maud Bouvattier, University of Edinburgh. “'From her to Eternity’; music and the lover’s death in the prose Tristan.'
- 15:45-16:45- Keynote Lecture, Dr. Debra Strickland, University of Glasgow. 'Medieval Ghosts: Death, Monstrosity and the Apocalyptic Supernatural in the Painting of Hieronymus Bosch.'
16:45- Wine Reception