Guidance and advice on personal safety.
Edinburgh is generally considered to be a safe city, but as with any city environment, you are advised to be mindful of your safety and personal security at all times, especially at night. We would like to draw your attention to some further sources of advice about safety designed for students:
Keep to lit areas, avoid walking in areas you don’t know, and follow the advice given on the above pages, such as:
- Be wary around cash points and keep your valuables out of sight.
- Enjoy alcohol responsibly and keep track of what you’re drinking. Don’t leave your drink unattended, and never accept drinks from strangers.
- When walking alone at night, don’t listen to music. Stay alert.
- On nights out, especially at pubs or clubs, let someone know where you’re going and when you expect to be back, or stay in the company of friends and keep each other safe.
- Use common sense. If studying late or by yourself, tell somebody.
- If you feel unsafe or something is not right, contact the Security Section (internal: 2222 or 0131 650 2257) or Police Scotland.