Information for current undergraduates

Student Support Office

The Student Support Office is your first point of contact within the School for advice and support.

The Student Support Office can provide advice and support on a range of matters, including curricula, registrations, degree transfers, special circumstances and ill health, coursework extension requests, study abroad and many administrative procedures. 

If you are not sure who to approach on any other matter, the Student Support Officers will always serve as a first point of contact.


The Team

The Student Support Team is made up of Judith McAlister and Julie Nicoll as Student Support Officers and Eva Snedden as Student Support Assistant.

The team are available Monday to Friday, 9.00 am to 5.00 pm in the Student Support Office (Room G.08).

Email inquiries should be sent to

Mrs Judith McAlister, Student Support Officer and Co-ordinator of Adjustments, 0131 650 3845

Monday 9.00 am – 2.00 pm, Tuesday 9.00 am – 5.00 pm, Wednesday 9.00 am – 5.00 pm, Thursday 9.00 am – 2.00 pm

Ms Julie Nicoll, Student Support Officer, 0131 651 1800

Monday-Friday 9.00 am – 5.00 pm

Mrs Eva Snedden, Student Support Assistant, 0131 650 4303

Monday, Wednesday and Friday 9.00 am – 5.00 pm


The Student Support Office and Team are managed by the Student Support Manager, who is:

Ms Anne, 0131 650 2505


What we do

Student Support maintains a personal (and confidential) record of circumstances, such as illness or personal problems, which affect academic performance or attendance. In consultation with your Personal Tutor, the office will ensure that this information is distributed to relevant staff (Exam Board conveners, course organisers, administrators and tutors, as appropriate) in a form that protects confidentiality as far as is reasonably possible. As a student, you have responsibility for reporting any special circumstances which may affect your academic performance.  

The office can provide factual references (confirmation that you are a student at this university) for letting agencies and so on. For personal or academic references, your Personal Tutor might be the appropriate person to approach, although it would be useful to inform the Student Support Office that a reference is required and to ensure that your file includes an up-to-date copy of your CV. (In some cases, you might also find that one of your tutors is the appropriate authority for personal and, in particular, academic references.

For more information on the support provided by Student Support please see: