Scottish History Collection
Scottish History Book Collection
The foundation of the Sir William Fraser Chair of Scottish History at the University in 1901 eventually led to the creation of a small department of Scottish History and with that the establishment of a small ‘class library’ to support the studies of honours History students who took courses in Scottish History. The creation of a degree programme in Scottish History led by Professor Gordon Donaldson in the 1960’s saw the collection allocated a small room in what is now 50 George Square in the central area of the university. It was moved with the then department in the 1980’s to separate accommodation in a main door flat at 17 Buccleuch Place, where it was expanded in size under the leadership of Professors Geoffrey Barrow and Michael Lynch to include monographs as well as editions of primary sources.
In recent years it has been possible to bring all items in the Collection together in one of the School's Student Research Rooms (Room 3.07). Thanks to the hard work of volunteers and summer interns, the Scottish History Book Collection is available to all students and staff of the School of History, Classics and Archaeology and others upon request.