Dr Monica Azzolini
Senior Lecturer; Early Modern European History
- Director of Equality and Diversity (2016-)
- Equality and Diversity Officer (2009-2012)
- Member of the Athena Swan Equality and Diversity Committee (2014-)
- Coordinator of the Medicine, Science and Technology Research Group, HCA
Affiliated research centresCentre for Medieval & Renaissance Studies
I was born and raised in Milan, Italy. After graduating from the Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Milan, I obtained both my MPhil and PhD from the University of Cambridge. I taught for a term at Cambridge before spending a brief period in Sydney, Australia. My early career was marked by a truly hectic peregrinatio academica across the globe! In 2002 I moved to the USA to take up an academic post at the University of Washington, Seattle. In 2004 I crossed the Pacific again to move back to Sydney and take up a lectureship in the School of History at the University of New South Wales. In 2005/6 I spent nine idyllic months at Villa I Tatti, The Harvard Center for Italian Renaissance Studies in Florence. It was at I Tatti that I started working actively on my recent book on astrology in Sforza Milan. In the winter of 2006/7 I held a short-term Frances Yates fellowship at the Warburg Institute, London, where I benefited from access to a unique library and lively intellectual exchange with Warburg staff and fellows.
I finally settled down in the autumn of 2007, when I joined the University of Edinburgh as a lecturer. I have been happily teaching in Edinburgh ever since. In 2013 I was promoted to Senior Lecturer.
I am in a dual-career relationship and I have two pre-schoolers.
- Member of the Editorial Board of Renaissance Quarterly
- Discipline Representative for the History of Medicine and Science, Renaissance Society of America
- Committee Member of the Leonardo da Vinci Society
- International Member of the Editorial board for the series ‘La Nuova Meridiana (Storia)’, Le Lettere
- External examiner, MSc in the History of Medicine, Newcastle University (2008-2011)
My academia.edu page: http://edinburgh.academia.edu/MonicaAzzolini