Dr Gordon Pentland
M.A. (Oxon), M.Sc., Ph.D., F.S.A.Scot., F.R.Hist.S.
Deputy Head of History Subject Area
A native of Edinburgh, I graduated from the University of Oxford in 1999 and immediately took the high road back north to indulge a continuing interest in historical research. After completing an M.Sc. in 2000 and a Ph.D. in 2004 I worked for eighteen months as a lecturer in European history at the University of York. I returned to Edinburgh in 2006 to take up a two-year Leverhulme Early Career Fellowship followed by a lectureship in history. I was promoted to Senior Lecturer in 2011 and to Reader in 2013.
- Appointed to editorial board of History of Parliament, 2016-
- Appointed member of AHRC Peer Review College, June 2014-
- Appointed to editorial board of British History Online, 2014-
- Appointed member of Royal Society Young Academy of Scotland, 2011-16
- Appointed editor of the Journal of Scottish Historical Studies, 2010-14
- Historical consultant on the BBC network series A History of Scotland, 2008-9
- Elected a fellow of the Royal Historical Society, 2008-
- Elected a council member of the Scottish History Society, 2007-11