Graduate School

Step 2 - Check the entry requirements

What qualifications do you need?

You will need at least a 2:1 honours degree or other international equivalent, in a subject related to you chosen programme. There may be other requirements specific to your chosen prgramme of study. Please consult your programme's web pages.

Applicants for PhD programmes must meet the above requirement and also hold (or expect to be awarded) a relevant Masters degree with an overall average mark of at least 65% (or international equivalent), and a mark of at least 65% (or international equivalent) in the Masters dissertation.  

Guidance on the equivalency of international qualifications is provided by the International Office (see link below). If you are unsure of the equivalency of your degree, the International Office provides information by country.  

English language requirements

If you do not come from a majority English-speaking country as defined by UK Visas and Immigration, you must have one of the following qualifications as evidence of your spoken and written English.

  • IELTS: total 7.0 (at least 6.0 in each module)
  • TOEFL-iBT: total 100 (at least 20 in each module)
  • PTE(A): total 67 (at least 56 in each of the "Communicative Skills" sections)
  • CAE and CPE: total 185 (at least 169 in each module)
  • Trinity ISE: ISE III with a pass in all four components

Some English language tests (notably IELTS and Trinity ISE at the time of writing) expire after two years. Where an applicant holds an English language test with a two year expiry, the award date must be no more than two years from the start date of the programme. In cases where the award date is older, applicants must be asked to take a new test, or to provide one of the other English qualifications the University accepts. All other English language qualifications that the University accepts and that do not expire after a set period, must be no more than three and a half years old from the start date of the programme.

Alternatively, the University accepts previous undergraduate or postgraduate degree-level study, including one year Masters programmes, which have been taught and assessed in English in a majority English speaking country, provided the award date is no more than three years prior to the start date of the programme. In such cases, we may additionally require you to take the University’s Test of English at Matriculation (TEAM).This test is not punitive, and cannot be failed: it identifies areas where English language tuition would be useful, and this will be provided free of charge.  All unconditional offer holders are also free to take TEAM and again access to this free tuition where appropriate.

For more information on English requirements, see the University's postgraduate language requirements pages.

You can find further information on specific conditions and exemptions, as well as suitable forms of documentation, on the international students website.

You may also find it useful to consult the University's English language entry requirements policy.