New entry deadline for 3-minute thesis
The entry deadline for the School heat of the world-renowned 3 Minute Thesis (3MT®) competition has been extended to 15 May, with the event itself being held on 21 May.
Six competitors have already come forward but we know there is more fantastic research - and other PhD students out there - who are up to the challenge.
Please step forward!
What's it all about?
Based on a concept developed by the University of Queensland, the 3 Minute Thesis Competition provides an opportunity for PhD students to gain experience in public engagement by communicating their research to an intelligent lay audience.
It’s fast, it’s fun - you could even win prizes! But there’s also a serious side.
Win a prize for your subject area
The School will be offering certificates/prizes in the following categories:
- Best 3MT® PhD Archaeology Presentation 2013
- Best 3MT® PhD Classics Presentation 2013
- Best 3MT® PhD History Presentation 2013
- Best 3MT® PhD Presentation in the School 2013
Do well and you could progress to even bigger prizes in the College, University and global heats, organised by Universitas 21, a worldwide network of research-intensive universities.
When and where?
The School competition will take place at 6pm, Tuesday 21 May, in the Teviot Lecture Theatre. It will be followed by a reception in the Jim McMillan Room.
All are welcome to attend!
How to enter
If you want to enter, then please e-mail Lindsay Scott by 15 May with your title.
You should e-mail through your slide (see below) by noon on the day of the competition. Anybody currently registered as a PhD student is eligible.
- Each presentation should take no more than 3 minutes (competitors who exceed 3 minutes will be disqualified).
- You should present for an intelligent lay audience.
- You will only be allowed 1 slide (with no transitions).
- No additional electronic media (eg. sound and video files) or props (eg. costumes, musical instruments, laboratory equipment) are permitted.
- Spoken word only (ie. no poems, raps or songs).
Go College, go global
Find out more about College heats on 29 May, University heats in July and Universitas 21 heats in October.