Information for current postgraduates

Student letters

Information about the types of letters provided by the University and the Graduate School Office.

Requesting Letters

Official Letters

The University provides key forms of letter and documentation centrally upon request. These might include: transcripts, bank introduction letters, Council Tax exemption lettrs, and certificates of matriculation. Information on requesting official University letters is available at:

Official University Letters

This page also provides information on letters erelevant to our Alumni .

Funding forms

If you receive funding for your study and are required to have a form authorised by the University, you should take this directly to the University's Scholarships and Student Funding Service.

Letters the School can help with 

Student Status Letters

The Graduate School can provide you with student status letters that confirm your programme of study and the dates of your study. You may need one of these letters for accommodation purposes, funding opportunities or for applying for further study.

Statement of marks

The Graduate School can also provide you with an unofficial statement of marks that lists the courses you are enrolled in, as well as any provisional marks that you may have achieved. You may need one of these statements if you have to report your academic progress to your sponsor or if you are applying for further study outside of the University of Edinburgh.

Should you require either of these letters and you are a postgraduate student in the School of History, Classics and Archaeology, please email your programme administrator, including your name, matriculation number and your programme of study. Please try to request these letters as far in advance as possible.

Mature students railcard

You can apply for a 16-25 Railcard if you're 26 or over and in full time study. The Graduate School can also sign and stamp application forms for these cards to confirm your study status.

Mature students railcard