Student Led Initiative Fund - SLIF
Information about the Student Led Initiative Fund
About this fund:
The Graduate School offers a series of grants to postgraduate students who want to organise events and activities that foster learning and community-building within and across programmes in a scheme known as Student-led initiative grants.
The proposed activity can be anything from a writing retreat to a student-led conference or debating event.
We have a dedicated fund, and there are three application deadlines. Grants awarded from this fund usually range from £50 to £300. Proposed projects should be designed to benefit students across the School, or from more than just one programme, and they should not be designed to benefit an individual researcher. They should include a fully costed budget.
If you would like to discuss an idea for an application, please contact Dr Adam Budd.
Rules for the Award:
Applicants must be matriculated postgraduate students in the School of History, Classics and Archaeology.
- We do not consider applications for a course/research trip/conference that occurred in the previous academic year.
- Applications must benefit as wide a part of our Graduate School postgraduate community as possible. Claims which solely benefit an individual cannot be considered
- Applications by students outwith the normal maximum period of study or who have already submitted their thesis for examination will not be considered. If you are beyond the prescribed period of study, you should explain clearly on the form why participating in this conference is essential to your career development.
- Applicants must adhere to HCA’s Student Expenditure Guidelines.
- Applications must be accompanied by a case for support from the lead applicant’s supervisor.
- It is important to note, Graduate School funding ties in with the University of Edinburgh’s financial year (1st August 2021 - 31st July 2022). As such, should you successfully apply for funding for a course/research trip/conference which is after 1st August 2022, it will be accounted for as part of the corresponding academic year September 2022 - July 2023. To avoid student hardship, and the ability to book for events in the future we will reimburse students as soon as possible following notification of award. This may mean you receive your funds well in advance of the event, but it will be accounted for within the financial year the event actually takes place. Please bear this in mind when applying for funds later in the academic year.
Students should complete the Student Led Initiative Fund application form (below).
- The form should explain how the event or activity will serve to foster learning and community-building within and across the School. Applicants must adhere to HCA’s Student Expenditure Guidelines.
- The application form must include a statement of support from your supervisor, who must email the completed form to GradSchool.HCA@ed.ac.uk from their staff email account.
- Where other funding has been applied for, applicants must provide evidence prior to making a claim to show whether this was successful to avoid 'double-funding'.
- The application deadlines are noon on 27 October 2021, 19 January 2022 and 4 May 2022.
- Applications received prior to each deadline will be consider at a funding panel meeting and applicants will be notified after minutes have been approved by the chair. Funding panel meetings will take place on 17 November 2021, 9 February 2022 and 30 May 2022.
- As funds are limited, there is no automatic entitlement to funding and a full case for support must be submitted for consideration. The funding panel includes the Director of Graduate Studies and representatives each of the three subject areas. If there are more applications than monies available in each round, then priority will be given to students who have not previously received funding and who have the strongest case for support.
- You will be notified of the outcome of your application by email. If funding is awarded, organisation of the event must be routed through Elaine Philip (firstname.lastname@example.org/ email@example.com) who will engage Edinburgh First, Accommodation Services to provide any drinks and catering that is required.
- After the event or activity has taken place, you will be invited to submit a brief report on the event to the Graduate School Office (GradSchool.HCA@ed.ac.uk).
Procedure for claiming awards
- All expense claim forms should be submitted within 6 weeks of expenditure. A signed claim form should be accompanied by all original receipt/s, a credit card slip on its own is not sufficient.
- Claims receipts should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Any queries regarding any claims should be emailed to email@example.com with fund name in the subject header.