Graduate Student Training Fund
Information on applying to the Graduate Student Training Fund.
About the Fund
The School has limited funds to support the training needs of postgraduate students. This might involve courses in languages, or other training courses relevant to your research and development. Straightforward conference attendance or individual research trips cannot be funded by this route. The maximum amount which can be applied for per financial year is £250. There are three deadlines per year (see Awards Procedure below).
Rules for the Award
- It is important to note, Graduate School funding ties in with the University of Edinburgh’s financial year (1st August 2021 - 31st July 2022). As such, should you successfully apply for funding for a course/research trip/conference which is after 1st August 2022, it will be accounted for as part of the corresponding academic year September 2022 – July 2023. To avoid student hardship, and the ability to book for events into the future we will reimburse students as soon as possible following notification of award. This may mean you may receive your funds well in advance of the event, but it will be accounted for within the financial year the event actually takes place. Please bear this in mind when applying for funds later in the academic year.
- We do not consider applications for a course/research trip/conference that occur in the previous academic year.
- Applicants must be matriculated postgraduate students in the School of History, Classics and Archaeology.
- Applications by students outwith the normal maximum period of study or who have already submitted their thesis for examination will not be considered. If you are beyond the prescribed period of study, you should explain clearly on the form why participating in this training is essential to your career development.
- Applicants must adhere to HCA's Student Expenditure Guidelines, including the use of the most economic means of transport. The fund can contribute to accommodation costs, but will not pay for usual daily costs such as meals.
- Please note that it is not possible to claim for baggage handling fees whilst travelling.
- Applications must be accompanied by a case for support from the applicant’s supervisor.
- The maximum amount which can be applied for in any one financial year is £250.
- To be eligible, the expenditure must relate to the current financial year (1st August 2021 - 31st July 2022).
- Students should complete the Graduate Student Training Fund application form
- The form should explain the relevance of the training to your work. Applicants must adhere to HCA’s Student Expenditure Guidelines, including, where relevant, the use of the most economic means of transport. The fund can contribute to accommodation costs, but will not pay for usual daily costs such as meals.
- The application form must include a strong statement of support from your supervisor, who must email the completed form to GradSchool.HCA@ed.ac.uk from their staff email account.
- Where other funding has been applied for, applicants must provide evidence prior to making a claim to show whether this was successful to avoid 'double-funding'.
- The application deadlines are noon on 27 October 2021, 19 January 2022 and 4 May 2022.
- Applications received prior to each deadline will be consider at a funding panel meeting and applicants will be notified after minutes have been approved by the chair. Funding panel meetings will take place on 17 November 2021, 9 February 2022 and 30 May 2022.
- As funds are limited, there is no automatic entitlement to funding and a full case for support must be submitted for consideration. The funding panel includes the Director of Graduate Studies and representatives each of the three subject areas. If there are more applications than monies available in each round, then priority will be given to students who have not previously received funding and who have the strongest case for support.
- You will be notified of the outcome of your application by email, and be invited then to submit an expenses claim form and original receipts for reimbursement up the value of the award made to you.
Procedure for claiming the award
- All expense claims from should be submitted within 6 weeks of expenditure. A signed claim form should be accompanied by all original receipt/s, a credit card slip on its own is not sufficient.
- Claims receipts should be emailed to email@example.com.
- Any queries regarding any claims should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org with fund name in the subject header.