Information about how to set up your own events within the School, including seminars, public lectures and conferences.
Information about the Student Led Initiative Fund.
About this fund:
The Graduate School offers a series of grants to postgraduate students who want to organise events and activities that foster learning and community-building within and across programmes in a scheme known as Student-led initiative grants.
The proposed activity can be anything from a writing retreat to a student-led conference or debating event.
We have a dedicated fund, and there are three application deadlines. Grants awarded from this fund usually range from £50 to £300. Proposed projects should be designed to benefit students across the School, or from more than just one programme, and they should not be designed to benefit an individual researcher. They should include a fully costed budget.
If you would like to discuss an idea for an application, please contact Dr Manuel Fernandez-Gotz, M.Fernandez-Gotz@ed.ac.uk.
Rules for the Award:
Applicants must be matriculated postgraduate students in the School of History, Classics and Archaeology.
- Applications must benefit as wide a part of our Graduate School postgraduate community as possible. Claims which solely benefit an individual cannot be considered
- Applications by students outwith the normal maximum period of study or who have already submitted their thesis for examination will not be considered. If you are beyond the prescribed period of study, you should explain clearly on the form why participating in this conference is essential to your career development.
- Applicants must adhere to HCA’s Student Expenditure Guidelines [link].
- Applications must be accompanied by a case for support from the lead applicant’s supervisor.
- To be eligible, the event must take place in the current financial year (1st August 2017 - 31st July 2018)
Students should complete the Student Led Initiative Fund application form (below).
- The form should explain how the event or activity will serve to foster learning and community-building within and across the School. Applicants must adhere to HCA’s Student Expenditure Guidelines [link].
- The application form must include a statement of support from your supervisor, who must email the completed form to GradSchool.HCA@ed.ac.uk from their staff email account.
- Where other funding has been applied for, applicants must provide evidence prior to making a claim to show whether this was successful to avoid 'double-funding'.
- The application deadlines are noon on Wednesday 15 November 2017, Wednesday 17 January 2018 and Wednesday 21 March.
- Applications received prior to each deadline will be consider at a funding panel meeting and applicants will be notified after minutes have been approved by the chair. Funding panel meetings will take place on Tuesday 28 November 2017, Tuesday 30 January 2018 and Tuesday 3 April 2018. If funds allow, a further meeting may be held in May 2018.
- As funds are limited, there is no automatic entitlement to funding and a full case for support must be submitted for consideration. The funding panel includes the Director of Graduate Studies and representatives each of the three subject areas. If there are more applications than monies available in each round, then priority will be given to students who have not previously received funding and who have the strongest case for support.
- You will be notified of the outcome of your application by email. If funding is awarded, organisation of the event must be routed through Elaine Philip (firstname.lastname@example.org/ email@example.com) who will engage Edinburgh First, Accommodation Services to provide any drinks and catering that is required:
- After the event or activity has taken place, you will be invited to submit a brief report on the event to the Graduate School Office (GradSchool.HCA@ed.ac.uk).
Procedure for claiming awards
- All expense claims from should be submitted within 6 weeks of expenditure. A signed claim form should be accompanied by all original receipt/s, a credit card slip on its own is not sufficient.
- Claims receipts should be handed into the Finance team Office 1M.30 or into Pigeon Hole 188 in McMillan Room.
- Any queries regarding any claims should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org with fund name in the subject header.