About our staff
Dr Robert Crowcroft
BA (Hons), MA, PhD, FRHistS, FRSA
Senior Lecturer; Contemporary History
Originally from South Yorkshire, I have been privileged to work at some wonderful universities with fantastic students.
I read History at the University of Leeds, graduating with a First in 2003. Captivated by political history, I secured funding for an MA by Research and graduated with distinction in 2004. I commenced PhD study that same year, receiving full AHRC funding, and completed my thesis in 2007.
Perhaps the most rewarding part of being an academic is teaching. I taught at Leeds between 2004 and 2011, including a stint teaching over in Politics. Between 2008 and 2010 I also taught at the University of Sheffield. I was appointed as a Lecturer at Edinburgh in 2011, subsequently being promoted to Senior Lecturer in 2017.
I held an AHRC Early Career Fellowship in 2013-14.
Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts
Fellow of the Royal Historical Society
- Member of the International Institute for Strategic Studies
- Member of the History editorial board of Anthem Press
- Historical advisor on the script for Darkest Hour, an Oscar-winning feature film
- Chair of the History judging panel, the Undergraduate Awards (2013)
- Senior Research Associate and Research Coordinator, UK Defence Forum (2010-2012)