About our staff
Dr Manuel Fernández-Götz
PhD, MPhil, MA, FSA, FSA Scot, FYAE
- School Deputy Postgraduate Director
- International Officer for Archaeology
- Member of the University Munro Committee
I studied Pre- and Protohistoric Archaeology and also Ancient History at the universities of Seville, Madrid and Kiel. I completed my binational PhD at the Christian-Albrechts-Universität Kiel (Germany) and the Complutense University of Madrid (Spain) between 2008 and 2011, with research placements at University College London, the VU University Amsterdam, the École Pratique des Hautes Études and the École Normale Supérieure in Paris, and at the Römisch-Germanische Kommission of the German Archaeological Institute in Frankfurt am Main.
The aim of my PhD was to analyse the evolution of Iron Age communities in northeast Gaul, and in particular in the Middle Rhine-Moselle region, giving special consideration to questions of social identity. During this period, I also participated in numerous field projects in Germany, France, Spain and Portugal.
After finishing my doctorate, I worked as coordinator of the Heuneburg project at the State Office for Cultural Heritage Baden-Württemberg (2011-2013), gaining substantial experience in the scientific direction of fieldwork, financial planning and management of human resources.
I joined the University of Edinburgh in 2013, when I was appointed as Chancellor's Fellow/Lecturer in Archaeology. Current fieldwork projects include direction of research at the sites of Monte Bernorio, Huerta Varona, Puig Ciutat and Sasamon in Spain, Ardoch in Scotland, and Arras in England. In 2016 I have been awarded the prestigious Philip Leverhulme Prize in Archaeology (http://www.ed.ac.uk/history-classics-archaeology/news-events/news/lecturer-awarded-leverhulme-prize-in-archaeology).
I have authored more than 140 publications on Iron Age societies in Central and Western Europe, the archaeology of identities, and the archaeology of the Roman conquest.
I am happy to supervise new PhD and Master students in any areas broadly related to my specialisms.
- Executive Board Member of the European Association of Archaeologists (EAA).
- Board Member of the Young Academy of Europe (YAE).
- Member of the Commission “Âges des Métaux”, Union Internationale des Sciences Préhistoriques et Protohistoriques (UISPP).
- Member of the Commission “Mortuary Practices in Prehistory and Protohistory”, Union Internationale des Sciences Préhistoriques et Protohistoriques (UISPP).
- Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC) Peer Review College Member.
- Member of the Hillfort Study Group.
- Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries of London.
- Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland.
- Associate Editor of the journal European Review.
Academia.edu profile page: https://edinburgh.academia.edu/ManuelFernandezGotz