About our staff
Professor Clive Bonsall
Professor of Early Prehistory
International Officer for Archaeology
I studied prehistory and archaeology at Sheffield University with Colin Renfrew, Paul Mellars and Andrew Fleming. Soon after graduation I took up a junior research post at the British Museum, moving to a lectureship in Edinburgh in 1978. After promotion to Senior Lecturer and then Reader, I was awarded a Personal Chair in Early Prehistory in 2009. My research focuses on the post-glacial hunting-gathering (Mesolithic) and early farming (Neolithic) societies of Britain and continental Europe. Early in my career I excavated Mesolithic sites in northern England, but since the 1990s my field archaeology has been mainly in W Scotland and SE Europe. My publications include The Mesolithic in Europe (1989), The Human Use of Caves (1997), The Iron Gates in Prehistory (2008), Submerged Prehistory (2011), Archaeology and Environment on the North Sea Littoral (2016), and Not Just for Show: The Archaeology of Beads, Beadwork and Personal Ornaments (2017).
- Honorary Member, ‘Vasile Pârvan’ Institute of Archaeology, Romanian Academy of Sciences, București, Romania.
- Foreign Member, National Institute of Archaeology and Museum, Sofia, Bulgaria
- Member, Editorial Board, Geosciences - Open Access Journal
- Member, Editorial Board, Bulgarian e-Journal of Archaeology
- Member, Editorial Board, Journal of Lithic Studies
- Member, Editorial Board, Atti della Società per la Preistoria e Protostoria della Regione Friuli-Venezia Giulia. Trieste
- Member, Palaeolithic & Mesolithic Panel, Scottish Archaeological Research Framework (ScARF)