About our staff
Dr Angela Bartie
BA (Hons), PhD
Senior Lecturer; Scottish History
I graduated with an Honours degree in History from the University of Strathclyde in 2001 and was formally awarded my PhD from the University of Dundee in 2007.
I joined the Scottish Oral History Centre at the University of Strathclyde as a Research Fellow in 2006, where I worked with Arthur McIvor (Director) and others to transform the Centre from a small, internal body to a recognised centre for research and teaching in oral history.
Between 2006 and 2009, I worked as a researcher on a number of projects exploring aspects of twentieth century Scottish history: the history of occupational health (at University of Strathclyde), an oral history of industrial chaplains (Glasgow Caledonian University), and on the policing of youth in post-war Britain (with Louise A. Jackson, University of Edinburgh). I also undertook advisory roles in Heritage Lottery Funded and community-based oral history projects.
In 2010, I was appointed as a Lecturer in History at the University of Strathclyde where I taught modern Scottish and British history, and developed new classes on youth in post-war Britain and on the theory and practice of oral history.
In 2010-11, I also took on the role of Acting Director of the Scottish Oral History Centre and, with Arthur McIvor, helped to design a purpose-built Lab and Archive for the Centre (opened 2012).
I joined the School of History, Classics and Archaeology at the University of Edinburgh in 2014.
- Trustee and Executive Committee Member, UK Oral History Society.
- Executive Committee Member, Scottish Oral History Group.
- Council Member (Executive Committee) of the Scottish History Society.
- Research Associate, Scottish Oral History Centre, University of Strathclyde.
- International Affiliate, Centre for Oral History and Digital Storytelling, Concordia University (Montréal, Canada).
- Research Associate, Scottish Centre for Crime and Justice Research.
- Member of Higher Education Network, UK Oral History Society.