Leadership: Exploring your Potential (Online)
This course will enable students and practitioners to develop their leadership potential to influence policy and improve their working lives.
|Course Organiser||Dr Michelle King-Okoye|
|Start Date||September 2023|
About this course
The course will focus on leadership within healthcare settings. Course content will include a critical analysis of current and past examples of leadership theories and leadership research.
Different styles of leadership will be explored and students will be expected to reflect on their own style and the internal and external factors which have shaped this. The impact of leadership style on patient care will also be a focus.
Concepts such as leadership and teamwork and leadership and management will also be explored and students encouraged to critically analyse their own areas of practice.
On completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Understand and be able to critically evaluate the various theories of leadership with particular emphasis on those which are favoured in the healthcare arena
- Demonstrate an extensive, detailed and critical knowledge and understanding of the main theoretical perspectives that inform developments at the forefront of current thinking on leadership within healthcare
- Understand the differences between leadership and management
- Understand the dynamics of team membership, how to develop your role and the importance of building and sustaining professional networks
The assessment will consist of two elements:
- your weekly contribution to the online discussion board - 40%
- a final written assessment (3,000-3.5000 words) - 60%
How to apply for CPD courses
Discover the application process for continuing professional development courses.
For further information about the content of this course please contact the Nursing Studies CPD secretary:
Nursing Studies CPD Secretary
Medical School, Teviot Place
- EH8 9AG