Designing Research in Nursing, Health and Social Care
This course introduces students to key principles in designing nursing, health and social care research.
|Course Director||Dr Susanne Kean|
|Start Date||September 2022|
About the course
Designing Research in Nursing, Health and Social Care introduces students to key principles in designing nursing, health and social care research. This course will take students through the research design process, from searching the literature, to identifying and formulating a research question, looking at ethical considerations when designing research and the decisions that need to be made in justifying methodological and method(s) choices. Students will also be introduced to epistemological and theoretical perspectives that underline methodological choices when designing research as well as the role of reflexivity in qualitative research and the significance of the scientific method in quantitative research.
At the end of the course, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate a critical understanding of the role of research in nursing, health and social care.
- Demonstrate a critical understanding of how feasible research questions are developed, including the appreciation of alternative research approaches.
- Understand and critically reflect on the importance of searching the literature systematically, including the development of a search strategy and its justification.
- Understand the significance of different theoretical and epistemological positions in research and its application to research (e.g. research design, methodological and analytical choices).
- Demonstrate a critical understanding of ethical principles and how these apply to nursing, health and social care research.
- The summative assessment for this course consists of the development of a research question and its justification (2,500 words, 100%).
- There will also be a formative assessment.
How to apply for CPD courses
Discover the application process for continuing professional development courses.
For further information about the content of this course please contact the Nursing Studies CPD secretary:
Nursing Studies CPD Secretary
Medical School, Teviot Place
- EH8 9AG