We operate a gathered field approach for PhD and MSc by Research applications, find out how this works.
When to apply
Applications for 2023/24 entry are now closed. Applications for 2024/25 entry will re-open on 1st October 2023.
The School of Health in Social Science operates a gathered field approach to our research applications. A gathered field approach means that all complete applications which meet our minimum entry requirements will be held until the next deadline at which point applications received will be considered on a competitive basis by our subject area specific academic review panels.
This year we will only be running two gathered fields for new applications so please take note of these dates.
All communication about your application will be sent through the online admissions system. Please ensure you check your application inbox regularly and particularly after the notification dates as listed below.
First deadline: Monday 14th November 2022, 11.59pm (GMT) (applications submitted after this deadline will be held until the second deadline).
If you are planning to apply for the University of Edinburgh’s funding opportunities you should apply in this round.
Only complete applications received by this date will be considered and outcome notifications will be issued mid-January 2023 for an enrolment date of September 2023 (or January 2024 for PhD programmes only).
Second deadline: Monday 24th April 2023, 11.59pm (GMT) (applications submitted after this deadline will not be reviewed).
Only complete applications received by this date will be considered and outcome notifications will be issued mid-June 2023 for an enrolment date of September 2023 (or January 2024 for PhD programmes only).
How to apply
An application will be considered ‘complete’ if you have submitted the following documents listed below.
- Online application form (link below).
- Undergraduate degree certificate and transcript (and your MSc degree certificate and transcript should this be required). Most postgraduate degree programmes in the School of Health in Social Science require a minimum of a UK 2:1 honours degree, or its international equivalent. Some programmes also require applicants to hold a Masters level degree. Please check the relevant pages on the degree finder for more detailed information.
- Research proposal based on the criteria for the programme you are applying for submitted on the relevant form (see below).
We strongly recommend that potential supervisor(s) are named on the application form. Applicants who have researched a potential supervisor before applying are often more successful in gaining an offer for study. Please ensure that you do this as early as possible and, at least, several weeks before the relevant deadlines.
Where research proposals do not meet the minimum entry criteria we may provide feedback to allow you to review and amend the proposal. If we do so we will contact you to ask whether you wish to revise and resubmit the proposal and be considered at the following application deadline.
- Two references – some programmes require one of your references to be from your most recent academic institution. Please check the relevant entry requirement pages on the School website for more detailed information. Please note that it can take a number of weeks for your referees to respond to a reference request. We must have received your references by the deadline dates above for your application to be considered in that particular application round. If you wish the University to contact your referees through the online application system you must have started the online application and submitted the reference request several weeks before the deadline dates so that your referees have time to respond.
- If you are applying for the PhD by Distance you must also submit the PhD by Distance application form.
Evidence of English Language may also be needed before an unconditional offer can be made, but is not required by the application deadline. More information about what the English Language requirements are can be found on the degree finder or on the relevant entry requirement pages on the School website.
If an application is not ‘complete’ by the application deadline it will be rejected. Applicants may make a further application at one of the later deadlines and this will be considered if it is complete.
If you would like more information about submitting your application and the admissions process please do not hesitate to get in touch with the School Postgraduate Research Admissions Administrator.
|Louise Carracher||PGRAdmissions.Health@ed.ac.uk||0131 651 5144|
Please feel free to contact the programme director if you have any further questions or wish to discuss your research proposal.
|Dr Larry Doi||larry.Doi@ed.ac.uk|
Once you are ready to apply for this programme, applicants need to complete the online University of Edinburgh application form.