Online Therapy Skills for Mental Health Practitioners
Giving you the skills and confidence to take your practice online
|Course dates 2021||
10 online webinars (2 hours) on:
18, 25 Jan
1, 8, 22 Feb
1, 8, 15, 22, 29 Mar
10 online tutorials (1 hour) on:
21, 28 Jan
4, 11, 25 Feb
4, 11, 18, 25 Mar
|Academic co-ordinator||Dr Rachel Happer|
This course provides mental health practitioners with the skills, confidence and knowledge to transform their therapeutic practice to online delivery.
Therapists and practitioners will learn through a series of expert led seminars, discussion of complex situations, reflection on principles, small group work and experiential skills practice allowing them to develop their own pattern of participation and experience the options of online engagement that may be open to them in clinical practice.
The topics covered include:
- Building rapport and maintaining engagement in the online therapeutic environment
- Keeping clients and therapists safe: Understanding and managing risks
- Adapting your skills to an online environment
- Critically exploring scientific evidence for online delivery of psychological therapy
- Reflection on complex casework
- Boundaries and limitations of online psychological therapy practice including managing mis-attunement
Intended learning outcomes
- To demonstrate a critical understanding of how to translate delivery of psychological therapies including assessment, formulation and treatment to an online context.
- Develop a clear understanding of the principles and practicalities of creating an appropriate and safe online therapeutic space that meets the needs of client and therapist.
- To have a critical understanding of the principles and applications of risk management, safety and ethics relevant to online delivery of therapeutic practice.
- To critically reflect on the experience of online therapy for the client, therapist and supervisor.
- Students will be able to demonstrate an understanding of the evidence of effectiveness of online therapies.
Course delivery and assessment
It is delivered entirely online based over 10 weeks.
Assessment will include a short reflective essay and a case study.
Online Therapy Skills for Mental Health Practitioners can be completed as a stand-alone course for academic credit. The fee for the 2020-21 academic session is £1,255. The relevant form can be downloaded at the CPD applications page, please return the completed form to email@example.com.