Student Support

Programme Concessions

Concessions include authorised interruptions of study and extensions to the programme period of study.

While coursework extensions and special circumstances applications are related to one or several courses, programme concessions cover exceptions to one of the University's regulations or policies.  They include Authorised Interruptions of Study (AIS) and Programme Extensions - extending the period of study for your programme.

A concession can only be considered granted once approval has been formally confirmed by email from the Health UG PGT Concessions mailbox:


Authorised Interruptions of Study

If you are temporarily unable to engage with your studies, you can apply for an Authorised Interruption of Study. This is a complete break from study for an agreed period of time, usually for up to one academic year. 

Common reasons for authorised interruptions include: health reasons, maternity leave or financial circumstances. 

Taking an authorised interruption of study may have financial and visa implications. You are encouraged to speak with an advisor at the Edinburgh University Students’ Association Advice Place.  They can provide independent advice about the potential implications of taking an interruption. 

To apply, you will need to complete a form stating the reason you are looking to interrupt your studies, providing relevant evidence, and with a return to study plan agreed with your Personal Tutor or Programme Director.  Your Personal Tutor can help you to complete the form. 

For more information see the Authorised Interruption of Study Policy and the  Authorised Interruption of Study page.

You can find the relevant forms below.


Programme extensions

A programme extension extends the prescribed period of study when students are unable to complete their studies within the prescribed period, due to unforeseen circumstances outwith their control.  It is generally only available to postgraduate students and under exceptional circumstances and with supporting evidence. 

Examples of successful programme extensions:

  • where progress has been hampered by unforeseen difficulties with facilities or equipment, hence a completetion of a thesis or dissertation has been delayed
  • where progress has been hampered by unforeseen difficulties in obtaining or analysing data
  • where long term illness has hampered progress but not sufficiently to require an interruption of study
  • where the outcome of a thesis examination requires an extension for corrections.

A programme extension request must be supported by your Personal Tutor, Programme Director, or Supervisor with an agreed return to study plan: a realistic timeline showing how you will complete your programme. 

Your Personal Tutor, Programme Director, or Supervisor may need to consult with the Head of Subject Area about the implications of concessions, particularly if it relates to a degree with practice elements.


How to apply

UGT and PGT students

You can find the Authorised Interruption of Study and Concessions Request (including Programme Extensions) forms via the links below for PGT and UG students.




Please discuss your request for an authorised interruption of study, concession or programme extension with your Personal Tutor providing them with any supporting evidence. Personal Tutors should support you in completing the form, and advise you about your return to study plan.

Personal Tutors should return the completed forms and supporting evidence to:-

The request will be reviewed by the School Director of Learning and Teaching. 

Programme extension requests that are approved at School level also require College authorisation.

You and your Personal Tutor will be informed of the School and / or College decision by email. 

PGR Students

 Please discuss your request for an authorised interruption of study or programme extension with your Research Supervisor.

Concessions forms for PGR students are available to download from School of Health Postgraduate Research Programmes Learn space.

If you are having any difficulty locating PGR request forms please email the school PGR office, at Students then complete the relevant forms and provide electronic copies of this, and supporting evidence, to their Supervisor.

Supervisors should upload the form and evidence to the online postgraduate research request system: On the homepage, first read the guidance before selecting  ‘Make a new concession request on behalf of your student’.

Both the student and the Research Supervisor will be informed when the request has been approved by the College.