Student Support

Who to Contact in a Crisis



The University Security Section may be called in the event of an emergency

Tel.: +44 (0)131 650 2257 (or dial 2222 from an internal phone)

Out-of-hours student support

Access to front line advice from the 24/7 security team and if necessary, access to an on-call student services manager who can offer further, practical advice and information, normally over the phone. The service is intended to support students who are experiencing a welfare crisis which is too urgent to leave until the next working day.

Examples of a student welfare crisis might include:

  • being a victim of serious crime
  • being hospitalised
  • loss of accommodation (e.g. due to fire or flood)

These may be reported by the student or by the student’s flatmates/friends/family.

Tel.: +44 (0)131 650 2257

Out-of-hours medical advice

NHS 24 runs a free telephone advice and triage service that covers the out-of-hours period (Mondays to Fridays between 6pm and 8am, public holidays and all weekend). The telephone service allows people who feel unwell or those caring for them to obtain health advice and information if it is not possible to wait until they can visit their general practitioner during working hours.        

Telephone number: 111


Confidential emotional support for people who are experiencing feelings of distress, despair or suicidal thoughts. Available 24 hours a day.

Free phone: 116 123               

Text message: 07725 90 90 90               


The Edinburgh Crisis Centre

Open to any Edinburgh resident who is 16+ and experiencing a mental health crisis or a carer for someone who is.

The Edinburgh Crisis Centre

Free phone: 0808 801 0414

Text on 07974429075

Non-emergency police matter

Police Scotland offer a non-emergency phone line which allows you to speak to your local officer, request crime prevention advice or report a non-emergency crime, such as theft.

Telephone number: 101

In an emergency

Please note that these emergency contacts are not in lieu of contacting your GP or health service if you are unwell during working hours.

 If there is immediate danger to you, or others around you, you should dial 999 and request police, coastguard, ambulance or fire services.