School of Health in Social Science: InspirED Student Funding
The School of Health in Social Science: InspirED Student Funding aims to encourage and support activities which contribute to the enhancement of students’ professional, personal and career development, bringing together members of the academic community in inspiring and creative ways.
All students and staff (enrolled or employed at the School of Health in Social Science) are invited to apply for this funding. The scheme aims to support initiatives that:
- contribute to and benefit the wider academic community in the School of Health in Social Science, and which
- enhance the transferable skills of students and help students develop professionally, and/or
- benefit the School’s research community and establish links between staff and student research interests.
The scheme will not support initiatives:
- Where the initiative is only of benefit to an individual student. The scheme will not fund activities such as student attendance at discipline specific conferences, for language courses, or any other item which is classified as research costs or training pertaining to an individual student’s studies.
- Where the proposal relates to core teaching need which subject area budgets should cover
- Where the proposal only furthers the research interests of academic staff to whom other sources of funding area available and which does not achieve widespread postgraduate student benefit.
Examples of successful initiatives
- A workshop for postgraduate students on Network Meta-Analysis
- A workshop for postgraduate students on developing skills in working with third sector administrative data
- Mindfulness classes
- A postgraduate research student retreat at Firbush including a facilitated ‘future-authoring programme’
- A workshop on Grounded Theory
- A Childhood Adversity and Resilience Event
- Student led Dementia Research Event
- A postgraduate led Nursing Now workshop
Applying for the funding through the InspirED Student Funding scheme:
The funding has three deadline dates:
1 November 2019
24 January 2020
20 March 2020
How to apply
Complete the attached form and in no more than 500 words describe your proposed initiative and how it addresses the aims of the scheme, as detailed above, and in particularly how it contributes to an improved Community within the School of Health in Social Science. Please also provide a detailed costing of how the funds requested will be used. If you are asking for funds to run a School wide workshop your description should be focussed on what costs might be associated with the dissemination of this information, when this will take place, who will attend the session, how and where the session will be delivered and what software you might need to do this. Please note that proposals submitted without a full breakdown of costs will not be considered. There is a cap of £800 on each individual bid.
Please submit your proposal for funding to Emily Gribbin (email@example.com), School Head of Student Administration, no later than the dates noted above.
All funding recipients will be expected to submit a brief report, or blog for the website, at the conclusion of the initiative and may be asked to present at a School wide event in May / June 2020.