Introduction to Biological Safety
The Introduction to Biological Safety online course covers the basic principles of biological safety including an introduction to risk assessment, containment and control for work involving biological agents and genetically modified organisms.
- Basic legal requirements for work with biological agents and genetically modified organisms
- Reference to relevant legislation and guidance sources that may apply
- Risk assessment for work with biological agents and genetically modified organisms
- Hazards of biological materials
- Hazard group and activity class categorizations
- Routes of exposure or release
- Containment and controls for work with biological agents and genetically modified organisms
- Containment levels and laboratories
- Control measures
- Emergency procedures
Access to E-Learning course
The course is available via the LEARN platform as an e-Learning course. The course can be accessed by following the guidance below.
This e-learning course is suitable for all those working in laboratories, animal and plant facilities and those doing fieldwork. Anyone undertaking work in the University or in the field involving biological agents or genetically modified organisms should complete this e-learning session.
It is also suitable for those who may no longer work in the laboratory but have managerial, supervisory or advisory responsibilities in these areas.
This e-learning online course lasts around 3 hours.
A short assessment must be passed to complete the training and if successfully passed a certificate will be issued & provide a training record.
Following completion of the e-learning course, the quiz is available via the LEARN platform. Please follow the instructions on how to access the Introduction to Biological Safety online quiz via the LEARN platform.
Lecture and training slides
The training slides from the course are available on LEARN. These can be accessed by following the guidance below.