Study and Work Away Service

Disability and learning support

Guidance for students with disabilities, learning difficulties or additional support needs.

Having a disability, learning difficulty or health condition should not get in the way of study or work abroad.  

We encourage you to investigate your study and/or work abroad options at an early stage as some may be more suitable for you than others. Helpful contacts to discuss options with are:

  • your Personal Tutor/Student Adviser
  • the Disability and Learning Support Service
  • the Study and Work Away Service

The sooner you let us know about your circumstances and your interest in study or work abroad, the more time there is to arrange the support you need.

Disclosing your requirements

We understand that you may not always feel comfortable disclosing a disability or medical condition. Please be assured that disclosure will not affect your application and any information disclosed to us is treated confidentially as sensitive personal data.

If you are currently awaiting a diagnosis or are unsure of your learning adjustment needs, please reach out to your Student Support team and the Disability and Learning Support Service who can provide further guidance. 

Visit the Disability and Learning Support Service

How can we support you?

The Study and Work Away Service can:

  • Support you to liaise with your host institution or organisation to discuss support you might need
  • Support you to liaise with the Disability and Learning Support Service for practical advice
  • Apply for funding if you have additional requirements that may incur extra costs that mean participation would not be possible without extra financial support. Please see our Turing Scheme webpage or further information.

Visit the Turing Scheme webpage

Please note

While we can support you to make your host institution or organisation aware of the support you receive in Edinburgh, we cannot guarantee that the same type or level of support/adjustments offered at Edinburgh will be available at your host institution or organisation.  

​​​​​​​During your time abroad

We hope you have a positive experience while you are abroad but if something isn’t right please raise it as soon as you can with the appropriate contact. This will likely be your host institution or organisation in the first instance, but please also keep SWAY informed so we can step in and support you as needed.

When you return to Edinburgh

We always love to hear more about student experiences abroad. If you have any feedback, positive or constructive, you can share them in the Student Feedback Survey sent to you at the end of your time abroad.

Please also let us know if you’d like to share your story with students interested in going abroad in future. This can be really inspiring and helpful, particularly for those who face additional barriers.

If you’d like to discuss anything in particular, please reach out to SWAY directly.

Useful resources

  • For advice on the support available for students requiring additional support visit the Disability and Learning Support Service:

​​​​​​​Disability and Learning Support Service 

  • To check the level of accessibility of the different higher education institutions across Europe visit Inclusive Mobility: 

  • ExchangeAbility Ambassadors are internationally-minded citizens with a disability who share their experiences of going abroad: