Study Abroad programme
The Study Abroad programme allows students taking an undergraduate degree elsewhere to spend a year or a semester at the University of Edinburgh.
The programme at a glance
You can apply for the Study Abroad programme if you are currently enrolled in your first year (or above) of study at a home institution which is outside the European Union.
The Study Abroad programme provides the opportunity to study here in Edinburgh for either 1 or 2 semesters, or the full academic year.
What can I study?
We offer a huge range of courses for Study Abroad students, with no fixed study programmes. The only thing limiting your course selection is whether you meet the course entry requirements.
You will receive credit from your studies to transfer back to your home university.
To apply, you must:
- Be studying at a university and transferring the credit you receive at the University of Edinburgh back to your home institution
- Have achieved a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or over on a 4.0 scale or equivalent (B average)
- Have completed a minimum of one full year of studies at your home institution*
- Provide a strong personal statement
- Provide evidence of your English skills if English is not your first language
*Applicants to the College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences will be required to provide a transcript at the point of application demonstrating they have completed a minimum of one full year of study at their home institution. Where one full year has not yet been completed, study at a previous institution will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Applicants to the College of Science and Engineering will be required to provide a transcript demonstrating that they have completed 1 semester of study.
An academic reference is not required for the Study Abroad Programme. The Visiting Student Office reserve the right to request a reference after receiving an application, if they require additional supporting information.
If you wish to apply for the Study Abroad programme and English is not your first language, you will be required to provide one of the following test scores in order to demonstrate your English language abilities.
The minimum English language test scores we accept are as follows:
- IELTS (Academic module) – overall 6.5 with 5.5 in each component
- TOEFL iBT – 92 or above with 20 in each section
- Cambridge CAE/CPE – 176 overall (162 component), grade A-C
- Trinity ISE – ISE II (distinction all components) / ISE III (pass all components)
If you wish to take third or fourth year level courses in Arts, Humanities or Social Sciences then you will need to meet a slightly higher score:
- IELTS (Academic module) overall 6.5 with 6.5 in each component
- TOEFL iBT 92 or above with 23 in each section
- Cambridge CAE/CPE – 176 overall (176 component), grade A-C
- Trinity ISE – ISE III (pass all components)
Please note that your English language certificate must be no more than two years old at the start date of your studies here in Edinburgh.
The above English language requirements may not apply if you are studying at an institution approved by the University of Edinburgh where English is the medium of teaching.
Tuition fees for the programme are payable directly to Edinburgh (not your home institution).
|Full Academic Year||September 2021 to May 2022||£19,600|
|Semester 1 (Autumn)||September 2021 to December 2021||£10,050|
|Semester 2 (Spring)||January 2022 to May 2022||£10,050|