We have over 200 exchange places for students from partner universities outside Europe.
The programme at a glance
You can apply for International Exchange if you are currently enrolled in your first year (or above) of study at a non-EU university that has an international exchange agreement with the University of Edinburgh.
You can check our exchange agreements to see if we have an exchange link with your university.
If we do, the next step is to contact the Study Abroad Adviser or International Office at your home institution to enquire whether International exchange will be a possibility for you.
Although it is possible to study in Edinburgh during Semester 1, Semester 2 or the full year, the length of time you can study here will be dependent on the exchange agreement we hold with your home university.
What can I study?
If you are coming on a general international exchange agreement then you are free to apply to either the College of Arts Humanities and Social Sciences OR the College of Science and Engineering.
If you are coming on a subject specific international exchange agreement then you will be required to take two thirds of your courses in the subject area of the International exchange agreement.
Check with your study abroad advisor at your home university for advice.
To apply, you must:
- Be nominated by your home university to study on an exchange agreement
- Have completed a minimum of one full year of studies at your home institution*
- Have achieved a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or over on a 4.0 scale OR equivalent (B average) OR ECTS ‘C’ at your home university
- Provide a strong personal statement
- Provide evidence of your written and spoken English skills if English is not your first language (please see below for further information)
Nominated exchange students are not required to submit a reference at the time of application. However, both College Visiting Student Offices reserve the right to request a reference from an exchange applicant at any point during the application period.
*During the application stage, applicants to the College of Arts Humanities and Social Sciences will be required to provide a transcript which demonstrates that they have completed at least 1 full year of study. Applicants to the College of Science and Engineering will be required to provide a transcript demonstrating that they have completed 1 semester of study.
You may be required to provide us with evidence of your English language ability if you are not from a majority English speaking country, and;
- You will study with us upon a tier 4 visa or/and;
- You will study with us for a full academic year or/and;
- You wish to take third or fourth year level courses outside the subject area of your exchange agreement.
In this case, you will be required to provide us with a valid IELTS / TOEFL iBT / Cambridge CAE&CPE / Trinity ISE certificate.
The minimum English language test scores we accept are as follows:
- IELTS (Academic module) – overall 6.5 with 5.5 in each component
- TOEFL iBT – 92 or above with 20 in each section
- Cambridge CAE/CPE – 176 overall (162 component), grade A-C
- Trinity ISE – ISE II (distinction all components) / ISE III (pass all components)
If you wish to take third or fourth year level courses in the College of Arts, Humanities or Social Sciences then you will need to meet a slightly higher score:
- IELTS (Academic module) overall 6.5 with 6.5 in each component
- TOEFL iBT 92 or above with 23 in each section
- Cambridge CAE/CPE – 176 overall (176 component), grade A-C
- Trinity ISE – ISE III (pass all components)
Please note that your English language certificate must be no more than two years old at the beginning of your studies here in Edinburgh.
The above English language requirements may not apply if you are studying at an institution approved by the University of Edinburgh where English is the medium of teaching.
If you do not need a tier 4 visa and do not have the above certificates, you will be required to demonstrate a level of C1 (CEFR) in English to access the 3rd and 4th year level courses in the College of Arts, Humanities & Social Sciences.
International Exchange students will not pay any tuition fees to the University of Edinburgh.