Study abroad in Edinburgh

European exchange

We have over 400 exchange places for students from partner universities across Europe.

The programme at a glance

You can apply for European exchange if you are currently enrolled in your first year (or above) of study at a European institution which has an exchange agreement with the University of Edinburgh AND your home institution has nominated you to study with us.

Although it is possible to study in Edinburgh during Semester 1, Semester 2 or the full academic year, the length of time you can spend here might depend on the exchange agreement we hold with your home university.

You can check our exchange agreement list to see if we have an exchange link with your university. If we do, the next step is to contact the Study Abroad Adviser or International Office at your home institution to enquire whether European exchange will be a possibility for you:


The University of Edinburgh's participation in the current Erasmus+ programme ended on 31 May 2023, following the UK government’s decision to leave the programme. However, we continue to welcome Erasmus exchange students from Europe for 2023 and beyond.

We have worked closely with our European partner institutions to ensure that Erasmus exchange opportunities continue to be available for inbound students from 2023/24 onwards. The University of Edinburgh is committed to continuing our strong relationship with our European partners, carrying on a long-standing tradition of exchanging students and staff with institutions world-wide.

What can I study?

If you are coming on a general (subject-wide) European exchange agreement then you are free to apply to either the College of Arts Humanities and Social Sciences OR the College of Science and Engineering.

If you are coming on a subject specific European exchange agreement then you will be required to take two thirds of your courses in the subject area of the exchange agreement you have been nominated on.

If you are applying under a Modern European Languages European exchange, you are likely studying English at your home university. You will be required to select two thirds of your courses in the College of Arts Humanities and Social Sciences.