Staff Visas

Skilled Worker visa

All you need to know about the Skilled Worker visa from application to settlement.

The Skilled Worker route is the most common visa option for those coming to work in the UK.  This route was previously known as Tier 2. 

To apply for the Skilled Worker visa, you need to obtain sponsorship from the University of Edinburgh.  Only certain roles are eligible for sponsorship due to the immigration rules laid out by UK Visas & Immigration. 

We have provided an outline of the requirements below, however you should always speak to your recruiter or HR team in the first instance who will confirm if sponsorship can be offered.  Once sponsorship has been approved, you will be issued with a Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) which you need to submit your visa application.

Sponsorship requirements

To qualify for a Skilled Worker visa, you will need to meet a series of requirements.

Bringing your family

Family members can apply to join you or to stay in the UK as your ‘dependants’.   

Visa costs

The standard fee for a Skilled Worker visa ranges from £625 to £1,423 depending on your circumstances.

After you apply

Information on what happens after you submit your visa application.

Skilled Worker visa conditions

Information on the conditions and requirements applied to a Skilled Worker visa.

Extensions and indefinite leave to remain

How to extend your Skilled Worker visa or apply for indefinite leave to remain.