Nationals of certain countries who come to live in the UK for more than six months need to register with the police.
Who needs to register?
If you need to register with the police it will normally say so on your visa or Biometric Residence Permit.
You can find out if your country is on the Police Registration list by checking Appendix 2 of the Immigration Rules.
What you will need to register
You will need:
- Your passport
- Two passport-sized photographs
- Unconditional offer letter
- Your visa or Biometric Residence Permit and accompanying visa letter
- Evidence of your address in Edinburgh
- Your bank introduction letter from MyEd is acceptable
- £34 cash payment
- Initial Registration Document
- Please print this out and either complete electronically or with block capitals
- If there are some questions you are not sure how to answer, please leave blank and the police will help you during your appointment
How to register
You will need to visit the police headquarters at Fettes Avenue, Edinburgh, EH4 1RB.
Opening times are Monday to Friday 09:00 to 12:30. Appointments are not necessary.
To find out how to get to the police headquarters by bus, you should refer to the Lothian Buses journey planner.
Updating your Police Registration Certificate
Once you have obtained your Police Registration Certificate, you are required to keep this updated every time you change your address or immigration permission.
You can update your certificate at any local police station. You cannot update your certificate at Fettes or on campus.