Applying for a visa

Important information on applying for a visa to study at the University of Edinburgh.

Do I need a visa?

A student outside McEwan Hall
Students who are non-EU/EEA/Swiss nationals must seek permission to study in the UK - find out if you need a visa.

Short term student visa

A visa and a passport
The short term student visa is for students who are studying for short periods of time at a Tier 4 institution.

Tier 4 visa requirements

Students on Calton Hill
If you are a non-EU/EEA/Swiss national, and you will come to the UK to study for more than six months, you will need to apply for a Tier 4 visa. You will also need to apply for a Tier 4 visa if you wish to do a work placement as part of your studies, or look for a part time job.

Tuberculosis screening

A stethoscope
Applicants who live permanently in certain countries/regions who come to the UK for more than six months require a certificate to show that they are free from infectious pulmonary tuberculosis (TB).

Academic Technology Approval Scheme

Student in a lecture theatre
Certain science and technology programmes in the UK require you to have Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) clearance. You must apply for this before starting your studies.

Immigration Health Surcharge

Person getting a health check up
The UK has a healthcare system which is paid for through taxes. All UK nationals and most residents have equal access to the National Health Service (NHS) without being charged each time they visit a doctor or hospital.

English language requirements

Students at a fair
All students must prove that they can speak English to a sufficient standard to study their programme. In some cases, you may also have to provide a certificate to prove your English language ability when you make your visa application.

Visa refusals

Student and staff member reading
The visa process is an application - and sometimes applications can be refused.