Travel updates and guidance

Flights and travel

Guidance on booking flights and return travel when undertaking a work/study placement in 2021/22.

You should only book your flights if you have met the following conditions: 

  • You have received confirmation from the Study and Work Away (SWAY) Service that your host institution is willing to accept you in-person 

  • You have received confirmation that you are covered by the University’s travel insurance policy  

  • You have completed the relevant risk assessment, had it approved by SWAY, and received explicit confirmation from them that you can book travel 

Booking return travel

We strongly advise you to book both outbound and inbound (return) flights where possible. However, some airlines may not offer tickets for the inbound (return) leg of your journey so far in advance. If this is the case, we will accept confirmation of outbound travel only, with the following conditions: 

  • You buy a return journey as soon as possible and send the confirmation to   

  • You understand that the University travel insurance does not cover the purchase of a flight home in an emergency if you do not already hold a return (inbound) ticket. Therefore, if you need to return home at short notice due to Covid-19 travel restrictions (or any other reason) you will not be able to claim the costs of this through the University 

UK quarantine rules

From 15 February 2021, all arrivals into Scottish airports must now book and pay for managed isolation in quarantine hotels to help protect against the importation of Coronavirus (Covid-19). You should factor this into planning your outward study/work placement, when considering your return home.

 More details can be found on the Scottish Government website: 

Quarantine hotels 

If you are returning to the following nations, please click on the links for more specific guidance: 

Will I have to pay the quarantine fee? 

Students are expected to cover their costs for pre-flight tests and the quarantine fee. However, students can apply for financial hardship support from the University if needed, and these will be assessed on a case-by-case basis. This includes students flying back into Edinburgh later in the year from periods of work or study away. 

Find out more about the University's hardship fund

Will insurance cover these costs if I need to travel back to the UK due to an emergency? 

No, students would need to apply for financial support via the University’s hardship fund.  

More travel questions?

Read the  Travel FAQ's page  for further guidance.