Welcome to the Exchange Coordinator toolkit
The information below is for Exchange Coordinators and School staff, to help in all aspects of setting up and running an exchange. Here we provide advice on how to support students, manage partners, and promote Go Abroad. There is also a full list of our policies and guidelines, and a list of resources to help you throughout the process.
Setting up a new exchange
Instructions on how to set up a new student exchange, manage your exchanges, and links to all current exchanges can be found here.
How to support students on exchange
Promoting Go Abroad opportunities to students
To make students aware of the opportunities available to them at an early stage, use these template presentations.
Exchange application process
Staff involved with administering student exchanges should familiarise themselves with the application process that students will go through and the policies that they must adhere to. These processes and documents can be found on the Student Exchanges website:
Edinburgh Exchanges Blog
Read the latest blog post by our exchange students:
Promoting Work Abroad Opportunities to students
As part of the Erasmus + Traineeship scheme, students can receive funding towards work placements in Europe.
Typical calendar points for staff involved in Go Abroad.
The Study Abroad Team at Edinburgh Global work alongside the College Visiting Student Offices to manage the processes for visiting students.
Benefits of going abroad
Students want assurance that an experience abroad will enhance their career prospects as well as their personal development. This document explains the benefits of going abroad.
- Go Abroad website
- Contains fee information for Go Abroad students
- Insurance Office
- Disability Service
- Student Counselling Service
- Online tools and support for Go Abroad students
- Taking Advantage of Time Away (TATA)
- Online module to help students make the most of time away
- British Council Erasmus webpages
- British Embassies and Consular services worldwide
- Foreign and Commonwealth Office travel advice
Policies, plans and guidelines
- Go Abroad Policy (PDF)
- This policy includes the protocol for dealing with an emergency evacuation and/or crisis management situation of students participating in a study or research abroad
- The Go Abroad Policy now supersedes the Emergency Evacuation & Crisis Management policy
- Edinburgh Global | Global Engagement Plan
- Edinburgh Global leads the University of Edinburgh's international strategy and services for staff, students, applicants, visitors and partners
- Collaborative activity
- Documentation for reference when developing new collaborative agreements can be found on the University's Governance and Strategic Planning webpages
- Application Policy for Subject Specific exchanges
- Application Policy for General exchanges
- Erasmus+ Charter 2014-2020
- The University's commitments and responsibilities under the Erasmus programme
- School Student Agreement (RTF)