Going abroad isn’t just for undergraduates or language students. Find out how you could go abroad as part of your Research Masters or PhD (and get funded to do it).
As a Postgraduate Research student, you could receive Erasmus+ funding to undertake research or fieldwork in Europe.
There are two Erasmus+ options open to PhD and Research Masters students – study exchange and traineeships. Whichever you choose, you will be doing similar activities but the funding you receive, how you apply, and exactly where you can go will be slightly different.
||Erasmus+ Study exchange
|What activity can I do?
A supervised research placement at one of our partner universities with an exchange agreement in your subject area.
You can find a list of these here:
- A supervised research placement at:
- a non-partner university;
- an institute/organisation/library;
- or with an expert in your field of specialisation
- Field work
- Work experience in a laboratory or specialised organisation
- Placement within a work organisation
- Going to a university that has an established relationship with the University of Edinburgh
- Experiencing a new academic culture and gaining a different perspective on your area of study
- Students who can’t find a suitable study exchange from the list of exchanges
- Doing field work to collect or test your findings
- Getting hands-on experience in a non-University setting
- Using your expertise within a company
- Accessing resources/libraries not available in the UK
|How long can I go for?
||Between 3 and 12 months depending on the destination
||Between 2 and 12 months
|Where can I go?
- It must be to one of our partner universities with which we have an exchange agreement in your subject area
- Available destinations depend completely on what you are studying:
You create the opportunity, so it’s up to you! There are, however, some exceptions, which are detailed in the Work Abroad section of our website:
|How much funding is available?
||Between €350 and €400 per month*
||Between €400 and €450 per month*
- Application round 1 opens on 1 November 2018 and closes on 30 November 2018
- A subsequent application round will be available for PGR students in early 2019 (exact dates TBC)
- We may be able to be flexible on application deadlines - for more information on this please get in touch
- Applications open year-round – no fixed deadline
- Apply at least one month before placement start date
- Possibility of accepting late applications
How do I apply?
- Choose a destination under your subject area
- If you have joint supervision across more than one subject area, check with your Exchange Coordinator about which area you are eligible to apply under
- Apply online under the Subject Specific route – see the Student Exchanges application process for full details
Apply online - Student Exchanges
- You find the opportunity, then apply to us for the funding
- See the Work Abroad application process page for full details
Apply online - Work Abroad
We recommend that you gain permission from your supervisor before applying for these opportunities.
*Monthly amounts are equivalents; Erasmus+ grants are paid in two instalments.
See the Erasmus+ grant page for full details about how the grant is paid.
Erasmus+ grant - Exchanges
Erasmus+ grant - Work Abroad