Go Abroad

Getting there

Information of preparing to go abroad with the Principal's Go Abroad Fund.

We know that going abroad is exciting, but that it can also be a daunting experience. If you are awarded funding from the Principal's Go Abroad Fund, the Go Abroad team are on hand to help you prepare for travelling abroad.

Travel insurance

It’s absolutely essential that you obtain appropriate insurance for your time overseas - it is your responsibility to ensure that you have appropriate cover in place. To help, the University of Edinburgh offers cover under its Travel Insurance Policy, free of charge, to all students participating on an overseas programme organised by the University.

Insurance Office

Email insurance@ed.ac.uk

If you are travelling within the EEA (European Economic Area) or Switzerland you should also obtain a free EHIC (European Health Insurance Card) which will entitle you to reduced cost or free emergency health care in your host country. You can get this from the Post Office or apply online on the NHS website.

NHS - European Health Insurance Card

Know before you go

Our 'Know before you go' page is a brilliant resource of information on preparing to go abroad. It tells you what to do in an emergency, how to look after your mental health while abroad, and has some helpful tips that will ensure you have the most successful time abroad possible!