About the Fund
The Go Abroad Fund covers a number of different initiatives designed to support students undertaking a short-term international experience abroad during the summer.
Please note there is one central application for the Go Abroad Fund. Students will be automatically considered for the most lucrative award for which they are eligible; if unsuccessful, they will be automatically considered for the Principal’s Go Abroad Fund.
Selection criteria - general
The overall plan for each individual fund is largely the same. The main difference is in the amounts awarded and the selection criteria.
For all of the opportunities:
- Students are expected to research and organise their own activity
- Your activity must take place outside of the UK
- It should take place between 25 May and 7 September 2018
- It should be at least 7 days long
- This can include travel time
- Your activity must be educational in some way, whether that be academic, professional, or personal, but it doesn’t have to be related to your degree programme
Please note that for international students, we will not award funding to students travelling to their home country.
Details of specific funds
Below are the details for each of the individual opportunities. These will be updated as more information becomes available.
Please read the following information carefully:
Principal’s Go Abroad Fund
This is our largest opportunity with funding available to provide awards of £350 each. Grants of £700 each are available for students from Widening Participation backgrounds, including those from under-represented and low-participation groups as well as bursary holders.
In most cases, these apply only to students from the UK. For more information, please visit the Widening Participation website:
Principal's Go Abroad Fund details:
- Open to all fully-matriculated students at the University of Edinburgh, including those in their final year, postgraduates, and part-time students
- Unfortunately visiting students and online and distance learners are not eligible for funding
- Activities can take place anywhere in the world (outside of the UK), as long as the country and activity are deemed safe
- For country-specific safety information, visit the FCO Foreign Travel Advice website
What can I use the funding for?
Your trip must be educational in some way and should fall into one of the following broad categories. Beyond that, we're open to ideas - let us know what you'd like to use the funds for!
Internships or traineeships
I was lucky enough to be hired on the spot by one of the organisers of Soundtrack Cologne to contribute some music to his company’s next game release and their forthcoming album of epic music. Thanks to the amazing Principal’s Go Abroad Fund I have started on the next step in my career as through this I will achieve my very first IMDb composing credit; the golden ticket for a composer starting out on this journey. What a fantastic outcome to a fantastic week!
What can't I use the funding for?
There must be an educational component but we cannot fund something which is a mandatory part of your degree programme.
Telling your Go Abroad story
To ensure that you get the most out of your experience, the Principal’s Go Abroad Fund includes a compulsory self-reflective element.
This will allow you to look back on your experience and consider the value of the experience, and what you have learned.
Go Abroad Fund blog
Read about previous recipients' experiences on the Go Abroad Fund blog.