Why go abroad?
International experiences give incredible opportunities and memories that last forever. They can also seriously improve your academic performance and your career prospects.
What other University of Edinburgh students say
Survey responses from other University of Edinburgh students who went on exchange showed that:
- 97% felt they had developed skills which would be of use in the future
- 93% increased their personal development
- 88% increased their ability to cope with challenging situations
- 88% increased their independence
- 82% increased their self confidence
- 75% improved their language ability, even though only 51% studied in a foreign language
Going abroad gives you the opportunity to meet new people, see new places, and learn new skills. You'll become more independent, resilient and better at problem solving, and gain an understanding of people with different views and lifestyles.
My Erasmus experience was amazing. I have made friends from all over the world and have travelled round Europe. It has been an excellent opportunity for me, both academically and socially. I would definitely recommend doing an exchange.
I can't even put into words how beneficial a trip like this could be. …I feel as though the trip has enriched my life in many ways. I feel more mature, confident and understanding of different people and cultures. The memories that I have made over there will always stay with me and I can confidently say that it was the best thing I have ever done!
Studying abroad provides you with a different perspective on your degree subject as well as, perhaps, the opportunity to learn a new language. Students who go abroad also tend to achieve a better class of degree.
A higher proportion of mobile students achieved a 1:1 or 2:1 compared with their non-mobile peers
Students who studied abroad had a better profile of results. Over 75% of students who studied abroad received a first or upper second class degree, compared to 60% of other students.
Graduate career benefits
64% of employers think international experience is important for recruitment
Graduates with international experience scored more highly in each of the following:
- Planning, coordinating, organising
- Analytical competencies
- Getting personally involved
- Professional knowledge of other countries
- Ability to work with people from different cultural backgrounds
- Knowledge/understanding of international business
- Foreign language proficiency
- Global Horizons & the Role of Employers, 2008