Student exchanges


It’s essential that you have appropriate insurance for your time overseas - don’t leave home without it!

Health and travel insurance

The University offers cover under its Travel Insurance Policy to all exchange students, free of charge. This is only available if the required documents are submitted by the stated deadline. In order to qualify for the University’s insurance you must complete a risk assessment before departure.

Some institutions require that you have insurance before you can enrol and some may require you to take out their particular insurance cover in addition to the cover provided by the University of Edinburgh's policy. 

It is vital that you are aware of and abide by any conditions imposed by your insurers. You should also remember to take out health insurance cover for your travelling time before and after your time abroad. 

Students on traineeships or work placements should ensure that their policies cover them for working in their host country. Please note that the University’s travel insurance does not provide cover for liability and accidents in the workplace so if this is not provided by your work placement provider you must take out additional insurance. 

If you choose not to register for the University’s insurance, you should take out travel insurance in addition to health insurance to cover yourself whilst getting to and from your host institution - for delays, cancellations, or loss of money or belongings.

European Health Insurance Card

All eligible students should obtain a Student European Health Insurance Card before departure - this entitles you to free or reduced cost medical treatment in the countries of the European Economic Area (the EEA constitutes the 28 EU Member States plus Iceland, Liechtenstein, and Norway) and Switzerland.

The EHIC is free. It is not a substitute for travel and health insurance since it may not cover all health costs and never covers repatriation costs. Further information about the countries involved and what treatment is covered can be found on the National Health Service website.

Make sure that you have your National Insurance number to hand when making your application.