Professor Liz Grant
Liz Grant is the Director of the Global Health Academy and Assistant Principal for Global Health.
Liz is also a Senior Lecturer in Global Health and Development in the Usher Institute at the University of Edinburgh, and co-directs the online Masters in Family Medicine, the MSc in Global Health Non communicable diseases, and the MSc Global eHealth.
She is also the director of the Certificate in Global Health Challenges, one of the three certificates which constitute the innovative new MSc in Global Challenges, a training programme delivered through a collaboration between the University's Global Academies - a global networks of experts from over 25 academic disciplines developing innovative solutions for the world's most challenging problems.
- International palliative care
- Health Systems Strengthening
- Health workforce capacity development in low income countries
- HIV care and rehabilitation
- Interactions between religious and health beliefs and systems, and male circumcision
Within the Primary Palliative Care Research Group in the Centre for Population Health Sciences, Dr Grant leads the international palliative care and spiritual and palliative care strands.
She is a passionate proponent of equitable accessible palliative care for those in low and middle income countries, leading a £1.5 million DFID/THET funded grant to help integrate palliative care into the health systems of 4 African Countries, and was a co-author on the 2013 WISH report Dying Healed: Transforming end of life care through innovation.
Previously Liz was the Health Advisor to the Scottish Government’s International Development Division, and worked in Kenya for a number of years as a Community Health Advisor at Chogoria Hospital with responsibility for young people’s sexual health and palliative care services.
Her PhD studies were based in Sierra Leone.
More information about Dr Liz Grant is available from the Community Health Sciences website.
Boards and Committees
- Elected Board Member Consortium of Universities for Global Health (CUGH) 2015
- Editorial Council of the Journal for Global Health
- Chair: Local Central Area Equality and Diversity Committee
- Lancet Palliative Care and UHC Scientific Advisory Committee
- Lancet Faith and Health Scientific Advisory Committee
- Trustee for the international disability and rehabilitation charity CBM
- Bioclimate Research and Development
- Advisory council for the NHS HIV African healthcare programme