The University has set forth expectations for both staff and students.
First point of contact
- An undergraduate student's first point of contact for academic advice is their Personal Tutor.
- An undergraduate student's first point of contact for pastoral care is their Student Support Coordinator.
- A postgraduate’s first point of contact for academic advice is their Programme Director.
- A postgraduate’s first point of contact for pastoral care is their Student Support Coordinator.
We will meet with students directly on pastoral and academic issues as they arise. We do not meet or correspond (via telephone or email) with third parties: this includes parents, carers, and external organisations, unless serious circumstances apply, for example, mental health breakdown and the student has nominated a representative.
Further details on disclosing student information and the Data Protection Act (1998) can be found at:
Expectations of Students
- familiarise themselves with the School of GeoSciences email communication policy
- check their University email account regularly for communication from their Personal Tutor/PD or Student Support Coordinator, and to respond promptly to request for information (normally within three working days)
- ensure their details are up-to-date on MyEd. This includes updating contact details (Registry), and notifying the Student Support Coordinator of any discrepancies in course details
- attend individual meetings with their Personal Tutor each semester and summarise the focus of the meeting and any agreed action in your EUCLID notes record, you must bring your feedback portfolio to each meeting.
- attend and participate in the group meeting facilitated by their Personal Tutor and linked to their degree of study
- complete any tasks assigned by your Personal Tutor linked to the individual and group meetings
- inform their Student Support Coordinator or Programme Director in good time of any problem affecting their studies, and so enable effective support to be offered
- provide the Student Support Coordinator, Personal Tutor/PD with background information s/he needs to (for example) advise on Special Circumstances or to write an academic reference
- take due account of advice or information given
- make themselves aware of regulations and procedures relevant to their studies, and to seek advice where they are unsure what is required
Expectations of Personal Tutors/Programme Directors
A Personal Tutor or Programme Director should:
- welcome new students, and to follow the academic progression of all their students
- guide the students in their course choices and advise them on study difficulties
- meet with students once a semester individually and in their degree group focused on academic skills and employability (undergraduates only)
- refer the student where appropriate to more specialist sources of information and guidance, for example the Student Support Coordinator
- provide an academic reference for a future employer or programme of study
- respond promptly (normally within three working days) to a request for contact. where this is not feasible (annual leave, conference or field work attendance), the PT/PD should provide an alternative contact
- should the case arise (normally the Student Support Coordinator) , advise and support the student in Special Circumstances, disciplinary or appeal matters
Expectations of Student Support Coordinators
A Student Support Coordinator should:
- provide pastoral care for undergraduate students including personal and health issues and accommodation problems
- provide guidance on degree regulations and requirements, degree transfers, study abroad, course work submission deadlines and extensions
- should the case arise, advise and support the student in Special Circumstances, disciplinary or appeal matters
- provide requests for reference to confirm student status
- respond promptly (normally within three working days) to a request for contact where this is not feasible (annual leave), the Student Support Coordinator should provide an alternative contact
- consider requests to change Personal Tutors