The mechanical workshop provides design, build and manufacture services on different types of materials and for a wide range of purposes. We support research and teaching, activities and work closely with our customers in the development of bespoke apparatus.
The Workshop undertakes:
- Production/manufacture of bespoke equipment to support research across the school
- Technical advice on best options to support labs/facilities/research with respect to Mechanical Workshop capabilities.
- Technical drawing for costing and manufacture of bespoke items to be manufactured by the workshop (or external manufacturers).
Available equipment includes
- Cylinder Grinder (Jones and Shipman)
- HLV-H High Speed Lathe(Hardinge) + HD Centre Lathe ( Lang)
- Colchester Triumph, Student and Chipmaster
- Two Mills (Cincinnati and Bridgeport)
- Cylinder/Surface/Pedestal Grinders (Myford/Elliot/Wolf
- Pedestral Drill(Elliot)
- Erodomatic Spark Eroder (Wickman)
- Band Saw (Startrite)
- Micro Drill ( Electro Mechano)
- Linisher (AJH)
- Heat Treatment Oven(Gallengamp)
- Drill Grinder( Kaindl)
- Bead Blaster( Vixen)
- Mechanical Hacksaw (Elliot)
- Many other small tools from variety of suppliers
For booking work in the Workshop and for further information about the Workshop facilities, contact:
Mr Alex Hart by e-mail (Alex.Hart@ed.ac.uk) or telephone: 0131 650 4851
The technical request form for booking work can be downloaded here.
This article was published on 17 May, 2018