Unconfined Loading Rig
The Unconfined Loading Rig was designed and built to develop understanding of the processes involved during creep and deformation in large (200mm diameter) rock samples under load.
The Unconfined Loading Rig is designed to look at creep and deformation in large (200mm diameter) rock samples, in particular the creep of salts for energy storage in salt caverns.
The Unconfined Loading Rig is rated to provide:
- 200mm diameter and length samples
- up to 700 bar load
- Up to 70MPa injection pore fluid pressure
- Up to 60oC rock temperature.
- Up to 60oC injection gas temperature
- Pore pressure measurement and logging.
- Gas sampling by Hiden HPR20 mass spectrometer.
The team within the Applied Geoscience Laboratory welcomes scientific collaboration and are always happy to discuss new projects and experimental designs. Please contact:
And for technical support please contact:
This article was published on 5 Nov, 2019